Sunday, October 30, 2005

I am Unique!

At our very first team meeting at the beginning of the school our leaders told us to go off by ourselves and pray about what we were going to do in Turkey (which we still don't know what that is yet). So, I didn't really get much about Turkey. But what I did get was the word unique. I felt as though he was reassuring me that my relationship with Him is unique. I'm the only one that has a relationship with him like mine. (Does that make sense?) I worship the way I do because I love him. Not because someone told me or has shown me that I'm supposed to worship this way or that. I don't have to worry about if people are thinking that I'm doing something because I'm trying to look a certain way or get glory. I worship, serve, or whatever, out of my relationship with him and I don't have to answer to anyone but him. So, let them think what they may, no one knows my heart but God!
So, last week we had a speaker named Kevin Darro. He also did prophecies on Wednesday night. I was a little bit hesitant and scared. Growing up in Assemblies of God I sometimes felt overwhelmed with all the "charismatic" type things. These were more of a hindrance in my life rather than letting me grow in my relationship with God. I'm also very hesitant about "fake" people or things. Anyways, I decided to go and get a prophecy over my life for the first time.
When he got to me he asked my name and right away he said to me, "Rebekah I have a word for you. You are very unique." Hello, did that not confirm my "talk with God" earlier in the school? This guy knew nothing about me other than I was wearing basketball shorts, a sweatshirt and a beanie. I felt like God was telling me, "yeah, I talk to you, and I do love you, and your relationship with me is real."
Growing up the way I did, I felt so conflicted about my relationship with God. I didn't speak in tongues, I never got slain in the spirit, I didn't cry at every single worship service, I never had this ginormous testimony to share at every evening service. Was there something wrong with me? I even had people tell me that I needed to be more like someone else, or I had unconfessed sin in my life. How can I confess more, I'm apologizing for things that maybe I'm doing but don't even know it! I needed to do this or that, so I could be good enough. I felt like a hypocrite because I didn't really want to become a missionary or a pastor or wife of a pastor, God forbid! I never wanted to do something because everyone else did. I would tell God that if he wanted these things for my life he'd have to make it very apparent. Because I didn't want to do these things for the sake of looking spiritual. And I felt bad for feeling this way. Weird huh?
So back to the present prophecy. Kevin verifying this uniqueness in me made me feel validated in how I've felt my entire life. He continued to tell me that my uniqueness brings freshness to the body of Christ. Then he told me that I was a rebel. Not outwardly with piercings or whatever, but that I resisted the "cookie-cutter" Christianity. Does that not confirm my above feelings? That I'm not wrong in not wanting everyone else tell me what my relationship with God is?
He also told me that it was like God had a chisel and there has been and still is chiselling in my life. God was taking away all the things that were not Rebekah, and were not in God's image. To Him, I am perfectly, wonderfully, and beautifully made. He'll get rid of anything that is not reflecting that in my life.
This was so reassuring because I have grown so much in my relationship with Him. I may not be as christanese as I was when I was younger, but I'm so much more comfortable with who I am as a person and with my relationship with Him. He is still showing me how much He loves me, and who he's created me to be. And it's amazing! People may look down on me because I don't do everything right, or fit into their world. I may talk or laugh too loud, but that's how God made me and He loves that about me. So instead of always looking at how horrible I am because I screw up every once in awhile I'm going to rejoice that God is with me, loves me, and created me in my own unique way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site you have thank you.
Mary

Anonymous said...

I love you, you little rebel, you!!

Love, Aunti Judi